UMD Campus from above

Undergraduate Student Legal Aid Office

Applications for the Spring 2022 Legal Aid Internship are now open! Applications will be due 4pm on Monday, November 8th, 2021. You can download a copy of the application here.

We are here to help!

The Student Legal Aid Office provides legal advice and university charge assistance to University of Maryland undergraduate students. The Student Legal Aid Office (SLAO) is separate from the Office of Student Conduct, Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct, and Office of Rights and Responsibilities. At SLAO, we strive to empower students to take ownership of their cases, and we work with students towards a fair outcome.

The Undergraduate Student Legal Aid Office is now offering in-person and virtual appointments. For virtual appointments, you will receive a Zoom link via email 10-15 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment time. Our hours are Mondays-Fridays 4pm, and on Thursdays we are open until 7pm for Student Advocate appointments only. We also have Student Advocate availability on select Saturdays. When you go to book an appointment, you'll be able to see which dates have appointments available.

We are not always able to answer calls to the office, however, we will respond to voicemail.   

For more resources, go to our Links page.

Make an Appointment

For graduate students...

Please visit Graduate Legal Aid or email to make an appointment. 

For undergraduate students...

If you've previously met with the Student Legal Aid Office, you can click here to make an appointment. If you've never met with us before, please read the descriptions below to make sure you're booking an appointment for the correct service. 

Click the Legal Advice icon if you're having trouble with an issue pertaining to state or federal law (such as a landlord-tenant housing issue, traffic violation, or more). You'll want to speak to an attorney.

Click the University Charge Assistance icon if you've been referred to the Office of Student Conduct or the Office of Rights and Responsibilities for an academic integrity violation (such as cheating or plagiarism), a student conduct violation (such as underage consumption of alcohol or possession of illegal drugs), or any violations that occurred in University housing, that would be a University charge. You’ll want to speak with a Student Advocate to help you through the process. We can also help with the Title IX process. 

Click the Notary Services icon if you are in need of a notary. We offer free services to UMD students. Notary services are limited at this time, so please email to set up an appointment.

If you’re unsure whether you should speak with a student advocate or attorney, we can help you figure it out! Just email

Back to Top